Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Positive Affirmations

One of the most important things I did to pull myself out of my depression was to change my thinking. It's not the ONLY thing I did, of course, but it's crucial. The circumstances of my life are pretty much the same as they were when I was contemplating suicide: same house, same car, same husband, same kids. What changed was my thinking.

I started off by putting a sticker on my mirror. Everytime I saw that sticker I said to myself, "I love you, Nicki." It was ridiculous. I felt shameful when I first started doing it. Eventually I could look myself in the eye when I said it, and after a while I was able to be playful and flirtatious about it.

I began to think positive thoughts as much as I could. When I found myself focusing on something negative--like a driver who cut me off--I would turn it around immediately and think about how happy I was that I was able to avoid an accident.

Louise Hay, the founder of Hay House, is THE guru of positive thinking. Her book You Can Heal Your Life has changed the lives of countless people around the world, and I recommend it highly. She posts daily affirmations on her website and if you sign up for her free newsletter, she gives you a free audio download, Receiving Prosperity. For those of you who have not yet experienced the magic that is Louise Hay, I urge you to check her out as soon as possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment